Monday, February 28, 2011

The Oscars

I was kind of disappointed with the Oscars last night.  There weren't any really stand-out gowns, no super memorable acceptance speeches (except for maybe Melissa Leo who accidentally dropped the f-bomb on national television...thank goodness for time delay), and the hosts kind of sucked (really? what were they thinking?!  Anne Hathaway and James Franco? You've got to be kidding me!).  I usually LOVE the Oscars and was super excited to watch this year, despite the fact that I had only seen two of the best picture nominees (Toy Story 3 and True Grit...but I'm now dying to go see The King's Speech).  And despite the sort of disappointing show I did have a really fun evening.  Two of my good friends, Kaitlin and Skylar, had an Oscar party complete with ballots to guess who we thought would win in each category.  I won our game of "guess who's going home with the little naked, golden man" (that's the official game name) in a landslide by correctly guessing 17 of the 24 winners.  I know...I'm pretty baller.  I was super excited that Colin Firth won best actor...he is so dreamy.  And I was also rooting for Natalie Portman...she is so gorgeous.  But can we talk about Christian Bale's beard? Gross.  And am I the only one who didn't know he's British?  I really wanted Hailee Steinfeld to win for best supporting actress...she kicked butt in True Grit.  All in all the winners were pretty predictable...and the acceptance speeches were too long.  BUT, I would like to share some of the things I did enjoy, especially because this post is starting to sound very Debbie Downer.  

I always love the opening video...and this year didn't disappoint.  "Dance of the Brown Duck"....baaaahahahaha.
Love it.



And it was pretty adorable in the opening monologue when Anne Hathaway introduced her mom and James Franco Introduced his grandmother ("I just saw Marky Mark!"...quote of the night).

But I think this music video might have been my favorite part of the whole night:


"She's so glad he doesn't have a shirt!"...hahaha.

And did anyone see Eli Wallach receive an Honorary Oscar?  I absolutely adore him.  I just watched The Holiday for the millionth time on Saturday.  Arthur Abbott might just be my favorite movie character ever.  He is so cute!!  


And here are a few of my favorite looks from the night:

Sandra Bullock

Natalie Portman

Mila Kunis

Hailee Steinfeld...can you believe she's only 14?!

Mandy Moore...I am obsessed with that blue dress!

Reese Witherspoon...did she remind anyone else of this vintage Barbie?

So what did everyone else think of the whole shabang? 

No comments: