Monday, May 26, 2008

Wednesday, May 14th: Chorus Line - Mario Lopez = So not worth my $35

I decided to skip over Tuesday because it was a totally boring day...but Wednesday was fun. Nothing exciting at work to report on but after work I went with a bunch of the kids from BYU to try and get tickets at the Wicked lottery. All of us were unsuccessful in that venture but we ended up going to dinner at this fun place called Ellen's Stardust Diner. The place has been around forever and is famous for its' singing wait staff. The food is really not that amazing but the atmosphere is what counts. The whole time your eating, the waiters are belting out show tunes. Everybody that works there is trying to get onto Broadway and so halfway through your meal they bring around a collection tin where you can give money to help support the talented waiters. The diner uses that money to pay for singing, acting, or dancing lessons for the members of their staff.

After dinner some of the kids went to see Mamma Mia, but I already seen it so Allison and I decided to go try to get tickets to A Chorus Line. We literally walked up to the box office 20 minutes before the show and ended up getting student rush tickets for $35. Mario Lopez is performing in the show this summer but he was on a short hiatus when we saw it. The show was very well done but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I thought it was set in the 40's but it's actually set in the 70's and is pretty sad a depressing. The first half is pretty funny, but then the rest of the show is mostly monologues and sad songs. It just isn't a very uplifting kind of musical. There aren't any elaborate sets or costumes, and the kick-line (which is what I thought of when saw that Chorus Line was playing) lasts all of about two minutes. I wills say that the actors were very talented but I probably would not recommend this show to anyone.

Sorry I don't have any pics from this day! Allison took them on her camera and I haven't gotten them from her yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, yeah. I saw Chorus Line the movie and it's um...not so great. It does seem from the title that it would be all fun and happy and entertaining and stuff, right? False advertising! I wonder what character Mario would have played? (could have made it worth the $35)

Jenna said...

It looks like you had so much fun in New York! I am glad everything worked out and you got to go. How awesome.

See you in the newsroom in Fall!