Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Called to Serve

Look at me getting all ambitious and posting twice in one day!!

I'm really just avoiding doing homework...

So as most of you know I've been called to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the South Carolina, Columbia Mission. I am soooo excited!! I go into the MTC on January 14th and I can't wait!
I'll admit when I first read my call I was a little disappointed. I was really stuck on wanting to go to Europe, specifically London. I told myself I would be happy where ever I was called (as long as it wasn't Provo) but there was still that initial disappointment when I didn't get called where I wanted to go. But the Lord calls you where you NEED to go not necessarily where you WANT to go. I just needed to remind myself of that. And here is the really cool thing -- my mission president was the bishop of my ward when I was born! How crazy is that! And my Mom told me that I have a whole bunch of ancestors from her side of the family that were from South Carolina and she still has non-member family living there! Soooo cool!

Regardless to say, I'm totally stoked about serving the people of South Carolina. The day after I got my call I started Googleing info about South Carolina and I found out all kinds of cool facts. I would now like to share a few of my favorites with you:
-South Carolina has the 24th largest population in the United States.
-One of my all-time favorite movies, The Patriot (R.I.P Heath Ledger), was filmed entirely in South Carolina!
-The average high temperature in the winter is 55 degrees and the low is around 35 degrees; in the summer highs are in the 80's and lows are in the high 60's to low 70's.
-Nowhere in the state averages more than 6 inches of snow a year! Woohoo!
-The largest city is Columbia.
-The last time South Carolina voted for a democratic president was Jimmy Carter.
-James Brown, Stephen Colbert, Andrew Jackson, Jesse Jackson, and 'Shoeless' Joe Jackson are all from South Carolina.
-The first time a British flag was taken down and replaced by an American flag was in Charleston in 1775.
-Golf was first played in the city limits of Charleston.
-South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union on December 20, 1860. Ohhh the south...
-There is a temple in Columbia! Isn't it pretty?And my personal favorite...
-South Carolina is freakin' gorgeous! Ok, so I know that's not exactly a fact but after looking at a tons of pictures of the state I came to that conclusion. Just check out this plantation!! Gorgeous!!
And you can check out the rockin' state song here.

I also happened upon the South Carolina tourism website and ordered myself a visitor's guide which came in the mail this past week. It came complete with a full color guide to the state with amazingly gorgeous photos and a map of South Carolina which will soon be on my wall!

And finally, just for kicks and giggles, I bring you, Miss Teen South Carolina herself, Lauren Caitlin Upton.



Mario Lopez's face is priceless! I think we should help THE Iraq and the U.S. Americans too Lauren! Ohhh I never get sick of watching that video.

1 comment:

The Self's said...

Crazy to think that at the time you didn't realize the HUGE impact that your mission would have on you, and when I say HUGE,I mean, eternal, BIGGGGGG, I think you get it. So crazy.